Thursday, February 9, 2012

Full Moon Musings

Growing up I got really into vampire mythology. My fascination didn't lead to bloodletting though as I was like the Jehovah's Witness of Goths. My interest was slightly more highbrow. I craved immortality and still do in all honesty. So, I backed the undead ticket. Nowadays expressing interest in vampires can lead to excruciating conversations about lovelorn vegetarian vampires and their fascination with Mary Sue character archetypes. Thus, my interest has gone to ground if you'll pardon the phrase. My interest in the undying is now a deep dark secret (if it ever was that secret). Recently, I have found myself switching teams and becoming more and more interested with werewolves.

I will touch briefly on the Vampire vs Werewolf phenomenon that has exploded with the Twilight scene as the two creatures are tied together in myth and critical understanding in a few ways. All of my readers (perhaps a whole four!) know that Twilight was not the first to put these beasts together to make the sweet horror reese's cup tweens crave, though nor was Underworld the progenitor of this monster mash. No, the peanut butter to vampire's chocolate has been werewolves for centuries. As a personal anecdote, the first time I saw the two sides fight was in an episode of The Real Ghostbusters  "No One Comes to Lupusville."

Slimer spoke a language similar to Nibbler from Futurama
and was way more annoying.


In some ways I've always been slightly interested in werewolves for some time. I'll watch The Howling if its on and I recently bought American Werewolf in London. Which if you haven't seen it, you should go out right now and find a copy because it's special effects have aged better than its cgi filled sequel An American Werewolf in Paris. But, my new found passion for lycanthorpes comes from two sources. One, the excellent book The Last Werewolf and two, from what I think is a maturation on my part.

The Last Werewolf is the first book of Duncan's I read but the second one I've written about. While in some embarrassing ways I enjoyed I, Lucifer, I adored Werewolf. It paints the werewolf as erudite and as interesting as the vampire; and it does so logically. If every so often you Hulked out and went on a killing rampage you would begin to learn to hide it or you would wind up a rug on some hunter's floor. Duncan's protagonist hides his actions making his killings look like regular 'ole murders and probably by shaving regularly. I can't tell you how many times (particularly in film) the werewolf was always the scruffy looking dude with the five o' clock shawdow or beard.


A werewolf from the Netherlands


By creating a werewolf with some degree of intelligence and a longer life than most werewolves in fiction or cinema Duncan allows the creature to get some of its dignity and respect back. I could care less about the dignity bit though. I was once again pulled to the long life aspect. 

My second reason for the increased interest with werewolves becomes slightly more personal. Back in high school at the height of my vampire obsession I, perhaps unsurprisingly wasn't getting laid.


Hahaha just kidding I got mad pussy.

My sexual encounters were limited and strangely related to vampric lore. Lots of biting, making out and soulful looks but not a whole lot else. Now I'm married and much more worldly so when my passion runs hot I feel more like a beast. 


A sexy, sexy beast.


But, does this newest interest mean my love life will dry up? It's hard to say. I am married now so it's almost like I'm contractually obligated to get some. Although my wife does raise the valid point.Who would want to fuck a werewolf?

No comments:

Post a Comment